Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Drink right, eat left

I love little sayings that help me to remember proper etiquette.  When I was first dating my husband, he was  working for what was then known as a Big 8 accounting firm.  We went out to a private dinner club with one of the partners.  There were pieces of silverware and glassware everywhere.  My dad was a warehouseman and I came from a lower middle class family.  Although I never felt "less than" anyone else, I commented to the partner that I hoped I used the proper utensil.  He told me not to worry and to follow him.  But here are a few little sayings to help you remember which glass and plate are yours.  When you set the table, your drink goes on the right and your bread plate should be on the left...remember dRink Right and Eat lEft  (The "r" is in drink and it is to your Right, and the word left has the "e" for eat).    When you are setting the table, remember that knife and spoon have 5 letters as does right, and fork has four letters as does left.  So your two forks go on the left, and your knife and spoon go on the right.  When eating, use the utensil on the outside first and work your way in. Teach your children these little techniques and they will always have confidence eating in fine restaurants or in setting their own table for dinner parties.

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome for teaching you the spoon and knife and right and forks on left!

    ReplyDelete