Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Return a borrowed item in better condition than you borrowed it.

This is a lesson I wished my mother had taught me before going to college.  I probably didn't borrow clothes from friends in high school like my daughter's have, but in college, I remember borrowing a sorority sister's dress for a dance.  She didn't give it to me "professionally cleaned", but it didn't smell bad.  But by the time I wore it, it definitely had an odor.  I returned it to her the next day, uncleaned.  Shame on me.  I wish I could get in touch with her now and apologize and maybe send her a gift card to a dry cleaners.  However, I have shared that story with my daughter's and told them to always return a borrowed item in better shape than it was lent to them.  Every piece of clothing that they borrowed was returned to the owner in a dry cleaner's bag after it had been professionally cleaned.  One daughter even had a dress that was lent to her with a rip already in it, and we made the necessary repairs before returning.   This was so ingrained into my children, that one daughter was appalled when she lent her dress to someone and that person literally returned it wadded up in a ball and handed it to her right from her locker at school.  That girl needed to have this lesson taught to her.  They always had to have the borrowed dress dry cleaned after they wore it!

And if someone brings you a plate of cookies,  you should return the plate to them "clean" with some other "treat".  Even if it is some store bought cookies, it is a way of thanking them for being so thoughtful.  If you borrow a book,  be sure to give the book back in a timely fashion and maybe include a bookmark or a small gift card to a bookstore for another book.  Those little thoughtful gestures will be appreciated and make you a cherished friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment