Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Always be ready to defend family.

My dad was a first generation Italian American.  His parents came over from Sicily.  The one thing that was ingrained in my father was that his family was first and foremost in his life.  My dad LOVED children, and when he was with his nieces and nephews, they felt like they were the most special person in the world.  He treated children with the same respect that he treated the adults.  When he married and his mother was alone, he always took time to go visit with her.  His sister and brother moved their mother almost next door to them and helped to care for her, because that was the Italian culture.  After his mom passed, we always spent holidays and several weekends during the year visiting his brothers and sisters.  On one of those visits,  my cousin's made me faint by putting their arms tight around my chest and had me hold my breath.  I passed out (which was the goal) but then I started convulsing.  Everyone was laughing and thought it was funny.  My sister, who was 7 years older, was there.  When we all ran back to tell our parents what had happened, my sister was in so much trouble because dad didn't think she was there to help and defend me.  He lectured us that as siblings, we should be there to help and defend each other.  I also had crossed eyes, and if my sister was there when someone teased me, she would be expected to defend me.  As my girls grow, I pray that they have their grandfather's spirit and stay close to their siblings, defend them when it is needed, and treat their nieces and nephews with respect.   (And don't forget to visit your mother in the nursing home :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment