Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Premise behind this blog

I have made a lot of mistakes.  And at 56, I've learned "what not to do" the hard way.  I am using this blog to document what mistakes I have made and what I would have done differently.  Hopefully, anyone who follows will learn some important life lessons and use them to teach future generations.

Let me start by letting you know that I grew up in the midwest with very little.  My father was a warehouseman, and my mother worked retail.  Both were minimum wage earners.  I grew up in a 900 square foot house, and moved in middle school to a house that was maybe 1200 sq. feet (each only had one bathroom).  We had very little.  My generation was categorized as wanting more and wanting big.  Your success was measured by your surroundings (house, car, jewels, clothes, etc.)   My parents didn't have the money for any of us to go to college, but I worked from the time I was 16 and with financial aid, I worked and paid my way through college.  I got a really good job with a fortune 500 company in sales where I met my husband.  After 30 years of marriage, we now have 2 homes and rental property.  I will never complain about what I have, but the purpose of this blog is to help the next generation understand that these things do not make for a better life, and that you can be so happy with much less.

No comments:

Post a Comment