Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Never lose a friendship over money

One of my biggest regrets is losing a friend over money.  Let me digress a little and give you some background.  I had to start working at 16 and save every dime I made because I was considered a financially independent student and paid 100% of my college on my own.  I was very frugal with my money because I had to be.  I even joined a sorority and paid for all of that, and bought my first car during my senior year of college.  I moved into an apartment as soon as I got my first job out of college, and still managed to save enough to buy my own condo at 25.  When I started dating my husband, he had no savings.  In fact when we married three years later, he had to consolidate his consolidation loans.  I had bought him his table and chairs and a mattress for his apartment.  I had to buy my own engagement ring, and paid for our honeymoon.  My parents would not pay for a real reception for us, so we had a wedding on a shoestring.  But I was used to scrimping and saving.  Although I have taught my girls how to save and smart ways to manage money, I never want them to lose a friendship because of money.
I had a met Ann when I was living with my first roommate out of college.  We both wanted to move out, but needed a roommate.  Ann and I decided to live together.  We lived for 2-3 years in various apartments and during that time, I bought all the lumber to build an "entertainment center" for my TV and stereo equipment.  Ann's dad and brother did all the measuring, cutting and building of the unit.  By the third year together, I was ready to move out on my own.  Ann's boyfriend was practically living with us and things were not going well.  I bought my condo and moved my things out, including the wall unit.  Ann stopped me and asked why I was taking it.  I felt totally justified because I had bought the wood.  She thought that because her dad and brother had assembled it, that it was hers.  I moved out and took the unit.  Although it wasn't just that one thing that created a wedge between us, I have always regretted letting go of a friendship for a material thing.  That wall unit was not more important than my friendship with Ann.  I should have let her have it (although it WAS built to fit my electronics).  I never want my children or grandchildren to let money or any material item end a friendship.  And if I could do it all over again, I would have left that wall unit with Ann.

No comments:

Post a Comment