Thursday, November 24, 2011

Argyle never goes out of style

This is where I want my girls to realize that almost EVERYTHING goes out of style.  When you try to keep up with the trends, you are always spending, and throwing away.  But if you go with the "classics", you will never be out of style.  Bobby Jones, the famous professional golfer born in 1902, wore argyle sweaters in the 1920s.  My husband had on an argyle sweater in a 1985 Christmas photo.  My girls, who were in their late teens, saw the picture and said, "nice sweater, dad".  I realized then that argyle has never gone out of style.  As of 2011, my girls are still buying argyle.  It is the same with wedding dresses.  We were recently looking at my husband's niece's wedding album.  She was married in the early 90's when  big shoulders and big hair were popular.  Although she had a BEAUTIFUL wedding, I know she wishes that the style at the time had been more "classic".  If you look at Princess Grace of Monoco's wedding in the 1950's, it was "classic".  Recently, when Kate Middleton married Prince William of Wales, her dress was modeled after the classic style of Princess Grace.  Although the long lace sleeves are not the style in the US, especially for summer weddings, there are classics in dresses and hair styles that will never go out of style.  So when shopping or decorating, stay with the classics and you will never look back at your old photos and say, "what was I thinking?"

No comments:

Post a Comment