Sunday, December 4, 2011

Contentment is wanting what you already have

I learned this definition of contentment from a friend visiting our Florida home.  I love this saying.  Are you content?  What we should all strive for is to be content with what we already have, and stop wanting for what we don't have or can't have.  My poor mother was born just before the Great Depression of the 1930's.  Her family was from the boot heel of Missouri, and were "dirt poor".  My mother always wanted more.  She was never content.  When she died at 86, the thing that made me the most sad is that mom was never content.  She always wanted more.  She wanted bigger houses, nicer furniture, better children, a better husband, etc.  In fact, this definition stems from scripture.  Paul speaks to the Philippians in 4:11-12:  "Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and
I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have
learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance
and suffering need."  In my bible studies, it is emphasized over and over that the secret to happiness and contentment is to trust in God and to just want what He has already given to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment