Saturday, October 25, 2014

Don't envy others, because it's not always the way it seems.

With new social media, it is sometimes so easy to look at other peoples lives, and think, "Wow, I wish my life was a good as his/hers".   With our lives being published on Facebook and Twitter,  some people can spin their lives to look perfect:  beautiful children, a wonderful marriage, lots of material things, exotic vacations, etc.  But what I have learned is that their actual life isn't always the way it seems.  One of my daughter's very good friends publishes wonderful praise for her husband.  I said to my daughter that her friend's marriage seemed so perfect, and she just laughed.  "Mom, she tells me all the time the problems with her marriage and sometimes she is really unhappy and frustrated."  I'm not judging her friend for not having as great a marriage as she "spins" in social media, but I want to pass on the life lesson, that if you envy other's for their life situations, you might not know how many skeletons are in their closets, or how miserable they might really be.  Some of the "happiest" people can be the most depressed when they are alone.  So don't compare yourself and your relationships with others.  The more you know about the other's, the less you might want to envy.

No comments:

Post a Comment